instagram

Saturday 26 October 2013

more baking.............................

Zachy and Finn had a sleep over during half term, after their bedtime story Finn asked if they could make a big cake like Alex had. I said that they could in the morning and we had a quick chat about what kind of cake we would make, both Finn and Zachy wanted lots of colours and lots of icing.

The following morning Zachy woke at 5.30am but I managed to persuade him to go back to sleep as it was so early. Finn came into my bedroom about 7am to ask if it was time to bake!

We had breakfast and then started our cake. The boys were still in pyjamas, I thought they could get ready when the cake was in the oven as this is the time they usually get a bit fed up.

With the help of my two assistants we made a 12oz Victoria sandwich mix. I then put some of the mixture into four small bowls and Finn and Zachy added food colouring to each bowl. They were really funny as they matched the food colouring to the colour of the plastic bowls and also matched up the same colour spoons to do the mixing.

The cake was named "rainbow cake" by the boys, I had to watch them closely as they kept sampling the mixture. It was then blobbed (the boys technical term) into a lined rectangular tin and baked at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes. I made some mini buns with the spare mixture and cooked them for about 15 minutes.


The boys have got quite a liking for drying dishes and doing little chores, so we washed and dried the dishes and tidied the kitchen together. Then the boys got washed and dressed, finishing just in time for me to take the cakes out to cool.

When the cake was cooled we added fondant icing and some sprinkles confetti on the top, before cutting it into slices. I then iced the mini buns and the boys helped with the toppings. The icing was left to set and then the cakes were boxed up for Finn and Zachy to take home - Mr R was left a few slices to have in his lunch box.


I had such a lot of fun with the boys and they were such keen and industrious little bakers - I do love baking with my grandchildren.

I am joining in with Cosmos and Cotton's Friday bake along.

Talk soon x


21 comments:

  1. so yummy!!!!
    happy weekend Sue, xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely time you spent just being together with your grandbabes, the pics capture clearly their delight and joy too. And the results look so yummy too!
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed this post, Sue, and it nearly brought a tear to my eye as I remember so many sleepovers at my grandma's with lots of baking! It is so clear from these photos that the boys absolutely love spending time with you, and I know the feeling is more than mutual for you, too! And wow, what an *awesome* cake! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fabulous cakes you made with your boys Sue. That rainbow cake looks like it was such fun to assemble I think I might try something similar with mine next. Thanks for joining in xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely Grandmum you are .... the cakes look brilliant ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky to have such lovely little ones to bake with x

      Delete
  6. Great pictures! It seems the boys had a lovely time! I really like your mini cakes, they look so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like so much fun was had by all, plus a rainbow cake how cool, your cupcakes look so pretty.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Clare and hope you are feeling better x

      Delete
  8. Great cake! Love the way they matched the bowls and colours and spoons. Great that they love the little chores too. Hope that you enjoyed the slices you were left with! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet they were so excited about baking a cake. Everything looks so yummy I bet they were thrilled.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they couldn't wait to take their cake boxes home x

      Delete
  10. Clever boys, cakes look yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it Sue, what great kids. The rainbow cake looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are pretty great - what a lucky nana I am x

      Delete
  12. Wow! Great British Bakeoff get ready for your 2 youngest contestants! What fun you had - and I just love the rainbow cake!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment.
I read them all and always try to get back to you x